Glen A. Wilson High School
Code of Conduct
Players who participate on a team must adhere to conduct that benefits the goals of the team. These rules govern character, participation, and behavior. Players are to follow ALL of the rules if they are to be on the team. Failure to do so will result in sanctions or removal from the team. Grades will be determined by a player’s adherence to these rules. These rules and policies have been stated to the team; however, due to recent improper behavior they are being summarized to insure our players demonstrate the highest conduct while on the team.
- Arrive on time to practices and games.
- Remain on the tennis courts and in the immediate area unless given permission to leave. The parking lot is off-limits.
- Players must wear appropriate clothes and bring appropriate equipment to practices and games. Players must wear shorts and tennis shoes (in good condition) to all practices. They must wear a t-shirt or polo shirt. Players MAY NOT wear underwear tops to practice. They must bring a tennis racquet and a sweat shirt or jacket. Students may wear sweat pants OVER their shorts on a cold day. Sweats do not substitute for shorts.
- Players are expected to participate in all practices, games and team functions unless prior approval is received from the coach to be absent. Players are expected to contact the coach IN ADVANCE.
- Players must follow all directions and instructions give by the coaches. This is one team and one system.
- No electronic devises of any kind are allowed at practices or games.
- Students are required to wear approved uniforms at games at all times. Undershirts must be the color of the uniform (white). No stripes or patterns on undershirts. Players must be responsible and keep their uniforms clean.
- On game days students must “show the colors” at school. This is a matter of team pride and is REQUIRED. The colors must be seen and not covered up by other clothing. Failure to do so will result in immediate consequences.
- At games all players are participants, even if off of the courts or not playing. They must remain at the courts and support their team. They are not to leave the courts without the coach’s permission They are not to engage in activities away from the courts. This is ONE team and not a casually assembled group of students engaging in a variety of activities unrelated to the sport of tennis.
- Absence from 7th period for any reason requires an absence slip before returning. Students may not use 7th period or practice to take care of other class or personal business.
- Players must follow all school rules. They must be courteous to all teachers, and fellow students. They must demonstrate good behavior in their classes and activities.
- Students on the team must maintain good grades. They are “student athletes”. Student comes first.
- Students must demonstrate courtesy and sportsmanship at all times. At no time may a player do anything that is contrary to the sportsmanship code of the game. Players must not do anything to insult, demean, harass, or degrade an opponent, either verbally or by their behavior. They must show respect to their fellow students and teammates. No teasing or bullying will be tolerated.
- Take responsibility for your actions. Do not blame others or make excuses for poor behavior.
- Profanity of any kind, whether intentional or casual, will not be tolerated. This includes gestures and body language.
- Players must comply with all directions from game officials, game supervisors, coach, or staff.
- Playing time each player receives will be determined by skills, attitude, and commitment to the team.
- Players must ride the bus with the team to and from the games. They may not be transported by themselves, friends, or parents. Any request for a student to go home with a parent after a match must be in writing at least one day in advance. Approval must be obtained from the athletic director or administrator.
I understand that I am required to follow all of these rules and policies to be on the tennis team. Failure to do so will affect my grade and participation on the team.